Parent/Guardian Opt Out Information for Student Google Accounts
HCPS students are given the opportunity to have access to an academic-based online account which includes communication and collaboration tools in a secure environment. This account is through our HCPS G Suite (Google Apps) domain.
We are excited to offer G Suite (Google Apps) as it represents an important step towards developing a 21st century approach to curriculum and learning. These tools will support the high levels of collaboration that are required in today’s classroom to prepare students with the communication and collaboration skills they’re going to need.
What’s included in G Suite?
- Filtered email for students (Gmail)
- Google Calendar for events and assignments
- Google Drive (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.) for file storage, creation and collaboration
- Google Classroom
What are the benefits of G Suite and what’s included?
- Anytime, anywhere access in any browser on any device with an internet connection
- Document storage – so no need for flash drives!
- Students can easily collaborate with other students
- Teachers can more easily share content with students
- Opens up the possibility of digital homework submissions
- Ability to use Chromebook devices
- Google Apps accounts are free – no need to purchase Microsoft Office productivity software
- More information about GSuite (Google Apps for Education)
What does this mean for my child?
Students should be aware that all email to and from this account is NOT PRIVATE, will be monitored, and will be archived in case retrieval becomes necessary. Account permissions will be based on students’ age and grade level. For example, elementary students will be restricted to emailing within the district only. The Henderson County Public School District has taken precautions to restrict access to controversial materials for all students in compliance with the CIPA (Children’s Internet Protection Act) guidelines; however, on a global network, it is impossible to control all materials and information.
It is the belief of the Henderson County Public Schools that the valuable information and interaction available with these accounts are worthwhile, even though the possibility exists for access to materials, which are not educationally appropriate. Students, parents, and all school personnel must work together to ensure the efficient and appropriate use of all Google tools for instructional purposes. The effective and productive use of this account depends upon end users who practice etiquette, exhibit proper ethical and legal conduct and adhere to strict guidelines. If an account user violates any of these guidelines, consequences may be imposed. (See the following.)
We understand that ultimately parents/guardians are responsible for determining what is appropriate for their children. Therefore, we support and respect your right to make a decision about whether your child will receive access to this academic-based account to use for educational purposes.
It will be the student’s responsibility to follow the rules of acceptable use for student email.
RULES FOR ACCEPTABLE USE
- At no time will a student give out his/her password.
- Students must understand the use of his/her Google account is for educational purposes only as identified by a teacher. This is NOT a personal account.
- Emails and files are NOT private and are subject to monitoring and archiving.
- Good online citizenship and netiquette are expectations when using this Google account.
- At all times students must adhere to Policy 3225/4312/7320 “Technology Responsible Use”.
- Use of this account for any illegal purpose
- Using another student’s account
- Posting specific personal information about yourself or others (address, phone number, etc.)
- Downloading or using copyrighted information without proper permission
- Posting or accessing information that is offensive, abusive, obscene, harassing, threatening, cyberbullying, damaging to another’s reputation, sexually oriented, or illegal
- Gaining unauthorized access to restricted resources or information
CONSEQUENCES FOR UNACCEPTABLE USE
- Restriction of account privileges
- Cancellation of account
- Other disciplinary or legal action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct and/or laws
If you do not wish for your child to have a Google Apps account, you have two options:
- Complete the opt out form and return it to the principal of your child’s school. OR
- Write a brief note to your child’s principal stating that you do not wish for your child to be provided with this account.
If you do not return the form or a written statement to your child’s principal, permission for using Google will be assumed. Should your child change schools within HCPS, it will be the parent and or guardian’s responsibility to provide a copy of the completed form below, or the written statement to the principal of the new school.