NC Scholars Requirements
Students who complete the State Board of Education requirements for a well-balanced, challenging high school program will be named North Carolina Academic Scholars and receive special recognition. Most students should begin planning for the program as they enter the ninth grade to ensure they get the most flexibility in their courses. The students who qualify for this special recognition will receive a Seal of recognition attached to their diploma and receive an Honor Cord worn at graduation.
North Carolina Academic Scholars requirements Class of 2016 and beyond
Unweighted high school cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
Complete all requirements for a North Carolina high school diploma
- 4 English Credits (I, II, III, IV)
- 4 Math Credits (I, II, III, and a math course with Math III as a pre-requisite)
- 3 Science Credits (Biology, Earth/Environmental, and either Physics or Chemistry)
- 4 Social Studies Credits (World History, Civics/Economics, American History 1, American History 2)
- 1 Health and Physical Education Credit
- 2 World Language Credits
- 4 Elective Credits (All 4 credits in one of the following areas: CTE, Arts Education, JROTC, World Language or in another content area)
- 3 Higher Level Credits (taken during the junior and/or senior years, includes honors, AP, dual enrollment courses, advanced CTE and CTE credentialing or Project Lead the Way)
It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the correct courses are taken in order to be eligible for the North Carolina Scholars Program. It is helpful for students to let their high school counselor know if they plan to pursue this award.