Substitute Teacher Employment
Requirements for Employment Starting January 18, 2022
Henderson County Public Schools employ substitute teachers on an as-needed basis to fill in for absent classroom teachers. Human Resources will be accepting applications and Principal referrals throughout the year.
In order to be considered for a substitute position, an individual must meet the following requirements…
- Hold a valid teaching license, current or expired, from any state OR
- Hold a high school diploma or GED and be 18 years of age or older. (Note: You must be 21 or older to substitute in a high school setting.)
To be placed on the substitute teacher list, you must fall into one of the categories listed below and meet the following criteria:
- Group A – Certified Teachers holding a valid teaching license (current or expired; from any state)
- Group B – Non-Certified (does not hold a teaching license – high school diploma and be 18 years of age or older. Applicant must be 21 years of age or older to substitute in a high school setting)
Substitute teacher pay is based on whether or not an individual has ever held a certified teaching license in the United States. Substitutes who have held a valid teaching license will be paid the Certified rate of pay, and all other substitutes will be paid the Non-Certified rate of pay.
New increases for starting pay are effective July 1, 2022:
- Approved substitute teachers classified as Certified (holding a current teaching license or have held a valid teaching license) will earn $130 per day (Group A).
- Substitute teachers classified as Non-Certified (high school diploma) will earn $105 per day (Group B).
- 1. Complete an online Employment Application. Applicants must provide via attachment either:
- a current or expired teaching license to qualify for the Certified pay rate OR
- an official high school diploma to qualify for the Non-Certified pay rate
- Contact a Principal at one of our schools and schedule an interview. (Please give the Principal adequate time to contact your references and submit a referral to Human Resources after you have completed the interview.)
After HR has received your Recommendation for Hire from the school administrator, you will be contacted by email with instructions for onboarding.
The following is required before you can schedule your final Intake appointment with HR:
- NC Health Certificate (to be completed by your physician)
- App-Garden Online Substitute Orientation Training for App-Garden Online Substitute Orientation Training for Certified and Non-Certified applicants. (A fee will be required to complete the training. Substitutes will be reimbursed for the cost of the training. A link to the training will be emailed after the Principal Referral is received. Choose the course that applies to your status.)
- All prospective substitute teachers are subject to approval pending the outcome of their criminal background check. Upon completing the Substitute Teacher requirements and approval by Henderson County Public Schools, your name will be placed on the official Substitute Teacher List.
Substitute teachers are expected to comply with all board policies and district protocols. Failure to do so may result in their removal from the Henderson County Public Schools approved Substitute Teacher list.
Minimum substitute requirement – to remain on the active substitute list, you must substitute a minimum of two (2) times per semester and four (4) times per school year.