Substitute Teacher Employment
Requirements for Employment
Substitute teachers are employed by Henderson County Public Schools on an as-needed basis to fill in for absent classroom teachers. Human Resources will be accepting applications and Principal referrals throughout the year.
In order to be a substitute teacher, an individual must:
- Hold a teaching license OR
- Have a minimum of forty-eight (48) semester hours on a transcript from a college or university
To be placed on the substitute teacher list you must fall into one of the categories listed below and meet the following criteria:
Group A – Certified Teachers holding a valid teaching license (current or expired; from any state)
Group B – Non-Certified (does not hold a teaching license – however, a minimum of 48 semester hours from a college or university is still required)
Substitute teacher pay is based on whether or not an individual has ever held a certified teaching license in the United States. Substitutes who have held a valid teaching license will be paid the Certified rate of pay and all other substitutes will be paid the Non-Certified rate of pay.
New increases for starting pay are effective Jan. 1, 2022:
- Approved substitute teachers classified as Certified (holding a current teaching license or have held a valid teaching license) will earn $110 per day (Group A).
- Substitute teachers classified as Non-Certified (48 semester hours) will earn $91 per day (Group B).
Pay dates for substitute teachers follow the district’s current Substitute & Bus Driver Pay Dates.
Starting January 1, 2022, substitute teachers can earn multi-day bonuses each month, for the rest of the 2021-2022 school year.* Substitutes can earn the following bonuses each month, based on the number of full days worked per pay period (see Substitute & Bus Driver Pay Dates).
For bonus eligibility purposes, 2 half-days worked during a pay period = 1 full day worked.
|Full Days Per Month||Bonus Amount|
|5 – 9||$200|
*bonus pay structure approved Jan. 1, 2022 through June 31, 2022
1. Complete an online Application. Applicants must provide via attachment either:
- a current or expired teaching license to qualify for the Certified pay rate OR
- an official college transcript to qualify for the Non-Certified pay rate
2. Contact a Principal at one of our schools and schedule an interview. (Please give the Principal adequate time to contact your references and submit a referral to Human Resources after you have completed the interview.)
After HR has received your Recommendation for Hire from the school administrator, you will be contacted by email with instructions for onboarding.
The following is required before you can schedule your final Intake appointment with HR:
- NC Health Certificate (to be completed by your physician)
- App-Garden Online Substitute Orientation Training for App-Garden Online Substitute Orientation Training for Certified and Non-Certified applicants. (A fee will be required. A link will be emailed to the training after the Principal Referral is received. Choose the course that is applicable to your status. Please print the completion certificate to bring to your HR appointment.)
All prospective substitute teachers are subject to approval pending the outcome of their criminal background check. Upon completion of the Substitute Teacher requirements and approval by Henderson County Public Schools, your name will be placed on the official Substitute Teacher List.
Substitute teachers are expected to comply with all board policies and district protocols. Failure to do so may result in their removal from the Henderson County Public Schools approved Substitute Teacher list.