Substitute Teacher Requirements for Employment
Substitute teachers are employed by Henderson County Public Schools on an as-needed basis to fill in for absent classroom teachers. In order to be a substitute teacher, an individual must hold a teaching license or have a minimum of forty-eight (48) semester hours on a transcript from a college or university.
To be placed on the substitute teacher list you must fall into one of the categories listed below and meet the following criteria:
Group A – Licensed Teachers holding a valid (current) teaching license.
Group B – Teachers with an expired license.
Group C – Non Certified (does not hold a teaching license – however, must have a minimum of 48 semesters hours from a college or university required).
A substitute teacher’s pay is based on being a Certified Substitute or a Non-Certified Substitute. Approved substitute teachers that are classified as Certified (holding a current teaching license) are paid $103.00 per day (Group A). If you are classified as a Non-Certified substitute teacher (48 semester hours) or your teaching license has expired, the rate of pay is $80.00 per day (Groups B and C).
PLEASE CONTACT HUMAN RESOURCES WHEN THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS ARE MET:
1. Complete an Application (submitted online). Your application will be uploaded within 24 hours. You may check to see if your application has been received by calling 828-697-4733. The application must be filled out completely. Failure to do so will result in a processing delay.
2. Contact a Principal at one of our schools and schedule an interview. (Please give the Principal adequate time to contact your references and submit a referral to Human Resources after you have completed the interview.) Once the Principal forwards a referral to Human Resources, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment for inprocessing.
3. Please fill out (completely) the following forms: (Use Legal Name that matches Social Security Card, No Nicknames)
3. Copy of Teaching License or Official College Transcripts.
4. Drivers License
5. Social Security Card (For Payroll)
6. Complete the online Substitute Certification Program with WRESA (Western Region Education Service Alliance) and print the Certificate of Completion to submit. (required by Group C-non-certified only- and does require a fee)
- All prospective substitute teachers are subject to approval pending the outcome of their criminal background check. Upon completion of the Substitute Teacher requirements and approval by Henderson County Public Schools, your name will be placed on the official Substitute Teacher List.
- A complaint from any school regarding performance of a substitute teacher may result in being removed from the schools’ substitute teacher list and/or removing the substitute from the Henderson County Schools approved Substitute Teacher list.