General Information

Below are answers to frequently asked questions. If you are unable to find the information that you need, please feel free to call or stop by our school office!

What are school hours?

The Regular School Day runs 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM. To insure proper supervision, school doors do not open until 7:30 AM. Kindergarten students who arrive before 7:45 AM will wait in the upper hallway beside their class sign, until their teacher comes to take them into the cafeteria for breakfast. First through Fifth grade students will report directly to the cafeteria in the morning. Breakfast is provided for all students daily, free of charge. Classrooms will open at 7:45 AM. All children who are not IN CLASS by 8:00 AM will be marked tardy and will need a parent or guardian to check them in at the front office. For more information on absences and tardies, view our attendance policy.

What if I am unable to drop off/pick up my child on time because of my work schedule?

PSAM/PSPM is an optional childcare service designed especially for the children of Henderson County Public Schools and their working parents, who need to arrive at school before 7:30 AM and/or stay after 3:00 PM. HCPS Childcare offers PSAM and PSPM in all 13 elementary schools. The programs operate on a self-sufficient basis. Fees are kept as low as possible to provide the necessary revenue to pay staff salaries and purchase supplies. View more information on PSAM/PSPM at Edneyville.

Where can I drop off and/or pick up my child from school?

Parents dropping off and picking students up from the car rider line should use the school entrance off of Highway 64/Chimney Rock Road. In the morning, drop off begins at 7:30 AM. The back gate will be locked at 8:00 AM. In the afternoon, the back gate will be opened at 2:30 PM. Mark sure to display your sign with your child’s name in your windshield. Replacement signs are available in the office. We will load 5-6 students in cars and wait for all students to be buckled before moving. The front teacher will signal when cars may move. For the safety of our students, please have your child enter/exit from the passenger’s side. In the case that a driver’s side exit/entry is necessary, make sure the student walks around the front of your car. PLEASE DO NOT PULL AROUND PARKED CARS! We also ask that you refrain from talking on cell phones when the line is moving.

What if my child rides the bus?

Please call our office for bus schedule information. Parents, please review bus rules with your child. In order to provide safe transportation to and from school, students are expected to follow all of the rules. Remember that riding the school bus is a privilege.

What should I do if I need to change how my student normally goes home?

A change of transportation requires a call  or note from the student’s parent or guardian. You must call the office before 2:00 PM to make changes. If a student is going home with another student, a note is required from BOTH sets of parents or guardians. Please note that students may not be able to ride home on a bus with another student, due to limited bus seating.

What if school is dismissed because of inclement weather?

School closing information will be broadcast on local radio stations and regional television stations. All students should have an inclement weather plan filed with their teacher that includes emergency phone numbers and student pick-up plans for early dismissal due to inclement weather.

How much is school lunch and what do they serve?

The regular price for student school lunch is $2.40. Non-student lunches are $3.40. Breakfast is provided from 7:30 – 7:45 AM in the cafeteria each morning for all students, free of charge.  Applications for free and reduced meal prices are available in the office or on-line.  Learn more information about our cafeteria and child nutrition department.

What if my child has an allergy or other medical condition that the school needs to know about?

Please contact the school and ask to speak with our school nurse if your child has a medical condition we need to know about.  View the medical forms you will need to fill out if your child needs an allergy, asthma or seizure plan.

Can I Send Medication to School with My Child?

No staff member is allowed to administer medicine (prescription or over the counter) to a child without proper authorization. Access the district Student Health site to Request for Medication Administration form.

I am new to the area/my child is starting Kindergarten, how do I register my child for school?

Parents may register students in the office anytime during the school year. Kindergarten registration for the next school year is held during the beginning of April. Parents are asked to bring the following items with them for registration: 1) Birth Certificate 2) Social Security Card 3) A Utility Bill for proof of address 4) Current Physical Examination and Immunization Records. These items must be brought to the office within a specified time in order for the child to start school. Please call the office for more information.