Welcome to Hendersonville Elementary School
Home of the Mighty Cubcats
Where Excellence Begins
A STEM School of Distinction
A Flex Quarter School
Education for All Seasons
At HES we are Honorable in character, Engaged in learning and Successful each day!
We will provide a solid academic foundation for each child. We will encourage and empower students to achieve their academic best while emphasizing respectfulness and responsibility for success in life.
- Recognized as a prepared STEM School of Distinction by the NC Board of Education 2017
- NC Positive Behavior Intervention and Support Exemplar School 2012-2016
- Honor School of Excellence 2003-2011
- School of Excellence 2000-2003
- 2007 No Child Left Behind Ribbon School
- Lego Robotic Team 1st Place in Presentation 2014-2015
Curriculum and Instruction:
Hendersonville Elementary provides a well rounded instructional program which fully implements the NC standards and Common Core Curriculum.
- Project Based Learning- 21st century skill set
- Skills- Creativity, Collaboration, Critical thinking, Communication
- Integration of school wide STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics) Units
- Daily non-fiction and fiction reading and writing
- Writing across all academics
- Problem Solving
- Fountas and Pinell
- Math Investigations
- Jr. Great Books
- MTSSS- 7 Habits of Happy Kids
- Kiwanis Kids- Leaders
- Partner with YMCA 4th grade health
- Bridge Club
- Performing Arts Club
- Lego Robotics Club
- Engineering Club
- Homework Club
- Battle of the Books
- Girls on the Run
- Spelling Team
- Math and Science Fairs
- Curriculum Nights
- Bonus Learning Time during intersessions (students may choose classes to attend and/or attend a remediation session)
- Inclusive Playground
Other Wonderful Facts:
- The HES PTO is actively involved in many special programs supporting our school. All parents are encouraged to join and be involved.
- Volunteers are an important part of Hendersonville Elementary. We rely on community and parent volunteers who donate their time and talents to enhance the learning process.
- Our business partner is Park Ridge Hospital.
- Nine National Board Certified Teachers
- Tier 3 Team for Student Support
- Academically Gifted Teacher
- Exceptional Children Program
- Speech, Occupational and Physical Therapists
- ESL Teacher
- School Health Nurse
- School psychologist/Counselor
- Literacy Room
- IPad, Chromebook, and Laptop Mobile Carts
- Smartboards in every classrooms
- E-readers available for checkout in library
- Outdoor Classroom
History of HES:
Hendersonville Elementary School was originally the Hendersonville Middle School for grades four, five, and six and was built in 1972. In 1990 Hendersonville Middle School piloted a year-round program. In 1993 the Henderson County Schools and Hendersonville City Schools merged and HMS became HES, serving students in kindergarten through fifth grade with a year-round schedule. Hendersonville Elementary is unique in that it is the only non-district school in the county. Parents enter a lottery to enroll their children in this program. Transportation is only provided to students living in the Bruce Drysdale Elementary School district, all other children must provide their own transportation.
Bonus Learning Time (BLT):
Program Goals and Philosophy: Our goals are to provide academic and enrichment classes for off-time students, to reinforce basic skills, promote a good attitude toward school, and to provide a fun, safe and caring environment. We believe that education is a year-round process and that additional time learning helps all students. We strive to offer a variety of subjects and classes whenever possible in order to expand our students’ knowledge and understanding.
Our Mission: To inspire every student to think, to learn, to achieve, and to care. BLT is offered either on the HES campus or the Bruce Drysdale campus. Bruce Drysdale Elementary is also a year-round school and this cooperation allows both schools to pool resources as well as encouraging new friendships amongst the students.
Cubcat Song (Tarheel Fight Song Tune)
We are the mighty Cubcats
We are the mighty Cubcats
And we love our school!
We are respectful and
We are responsible
in everything we do.
So its work, work, work for Hendersonville
As Cubcats always do.
We think before we act
As we always stay on track
For the Glory of HES
(shout) GO CUBCATS!