Good evening, Glenn Marlow families!
I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend and the extra hour of sleep on Sunday morning. Students seemed a little more awake this morning with the additional morning daylight, and overall, it was a great Monday. Tomorrow marks Day 50 of the ’22-23 school year…wow, where has the time gone?
We are looking forward to this 4-day week, with the Veterans Day holiday on Friday. There is no school for students on staff on Friday, November 11th.
From all of us at Glenn Marlow Elementary School, we say “thank you” to all of our Veterans for your service, commitment, and sacrifice for our country. We truly appreciate and honor you for all that you have done and continue to do. Without you, we would not be considered the “home of the free,” and the “land of the brave.”
Have a great week, and thank you for all that you do!
Fire Prevention Carnival – Tuesday and Wednesday This Week
- In partnership with the Mills River Fire Department, students will be participating in the Fire Prevention Carnival on Tuesday and Wednesday. They will be visiting the FPC during their Specials time. We are so appreciative of the Mills River Fire Department and their collaboration with Marlow Elementary and Henderson County Public Schools!
GMES Spirit Night at Papa John’s in Mills River! November 15th-16th
- Join us for GMES Spirit Night at Papa John’s in Mills River on November 15th-16th. 10% of carryout-only sales will go back to our school. Thank you for your support!
School Pictures and Make-ups
- School pictures were distributed to students last week.
If your child was absent for Picture Day back in Oct, or you just want a “re-do,” Make-up Picture Day is scheduled for next Tuesday, November 15th.
- If you need a picture order form for Make-Up day, please contact Ms. Spray in the front office, and she will get it to your child.
Annual GMES Turkey Trot Food Drive!
- Glenn Marlow Elementary School is once again hosting a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot Food Drive, to help our BackPack families during the holiday season. Flyers were sent home last week, and we invite your child to drop off the selected GL items into the “Big Turkey” box, located in the middle of each grade level hallway.
- For Grade Level specific item information, please see the flyer that was sent home last week. Our goal this year is 600 items, and the Turkey Trot Drive runs through November 18th.
- If you have other ideas for outreach at our school, or you would like to continue helping BackPack Bunch, please contact school counselor, Rachel Malmgren at 654-3225, or email Patricia Saunders at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you so much!
The Fall Scholastic Book Fair is Coming!
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year! That’s right– Book Fair! Our Fall Scholastic Book Fair will be at MARLOW November 14-18th, each day from 7:45 am to 3:30 pm. All students will be visiting the book fair during Media Specials time, and will be able to buy books, do activities and games, and have fun!
- There are a few ways you can shop at the book fair:
- You may send cash or check with your child the day they are scheduled for Media Specials
- You may create an E-wallet for your child.
- You may come to book fair with your child during the school day!
- Join us for Book Fair Family night on Tuesday, November 15th from 5-7 pm. Bring the family to visit the book fair and encourage a love for reading.
- All purchases benefit our school and help purchase books and technology for the Media Center and classrooms. Thank you for all your support and see you at the Book Fair!
Stay Healthy, Everyone!
- As with a lot of schools right now, we are seeing quite of bit of sickness and absenteeism. Students, please continue to take the appropriate measures to stay healthy by frequently washing your hands, covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze, and refrain from sharing food, drinks, and other items with your classroom peers.
- Parents, if your child is sick, please keep them home to prevent the further spread of germs. Please notify the school of their sickness, so that we can code the absence correctly in PowerSchool. Thanks so much!
It’s a bird…It’s a plane…No, it’s Lost and Found!
- With these chilly mornings and warm afternoons, our Lost and Found is growing exponentially!
- We ask students frequently to please make sure that they are keeping track of their jackets, sweat shirts, hats, water bottles, and everything in between during the course of the day.
- Parents, best practice is to be sure that your child’s name is written somewhere inside the clothing. Parents are free to come anytime to look through our Lost and Found, located by the Gym entrance. Thanks so much for your help.
School Breakfast and Lunch Forms
- Parents please do not forget to turn in your Free and Reduced lunch forms, if you see fit. Not only do these forms provide eligible families free and reduced breakfast and lunches, but they also help secure federal funding for our school to help pay for teachers, tutors, and instructional resources for our students.
- You can apply through the School Lunch Application website. The link may also be reached through the HCPS website, click on the Apple “Menu” icon, choose “Home” click on “Meal Applications” icon and then click on the Lunch Application icon. Even if you know that your child will never eat a school lunch, completing this application will of great assistance to our school. Thank you in advance for your help!
Important Dates to Remember
- November 8th/9th: Fire Prevention Carnival for all students (during their Specials)
- November 11th: Veterans Day Holiday, no school for students or staff
- November 14 – 18: Fall Scholastic Book Fair in the Marlow Media Center
- November 15th: Make-up Picture Day
- November 15th: Family Night at the Book Fair 5:00 – 7:00pm
- November 16th – Marlow Spirit Day: Dress like your Favorite Book Character!
- November 17th: Cafeteria Thanksgiving Lunch for our K-2 parents
- November 22nd: Marlow Spirit Day, Crazy Sock Day!
- November 23 – 25: Thanksgiving Holiday, no School for Students
With Mustang Pride,