School History

According to various records, the first school in the Etowah area was probably “Hopewell”‘ established shortly after the Civil War. The Oak Forest School was built around 1872 on property across from the present Oak Forest Cemetery on School House Road. Both were one room school houses. A public school was erected near the Methodist Church in 1910.

In 1928, Etowah School was consolidated with the community schools of Rhymer, Horse Shoe, Pleasant Grove, Big Willow, and Boyleston. This main building has remained the nucleus of the campus with four major renovations. Until 1960 the school served grades one through twelve. Today Etowah consists of grades Kindergarten through grade Five.