School Counseling Support While We Are Home

If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, please contact Mobile Crisis at 1-888-573-1006, Vaya crisis hotline at 1-800-849-6127, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room/hospital

Below is information regarding mental health, counseling services, and how to connect with the school counseling department during Plan C Virtual Learning. We have systems in place to support students, answer questions, and hold our meetings while we are learning virtually. Below you will find community resources as well as our contact information and a form to set up an appointment with your counselor, the social worker, the graduation coach, and the Blue Ridge Career Coach. Seniors will also find senior-specific information at the bottom of the page.

While we are Learning From Home, the NHHS Counseling Department, along with our Student Service Team, will continue to support students via digital means.

Complete the Google Form below to connect with your School Counselor, Social Worker, Graduation Coach, BRCC Career Coach/Liaison, ESL/Migrant High School Success Advocate, the NHHS Registrar, or the School Nurse.

While school counseling is best done in person – we have systems in place to support students, answer questions, and connect/meet with students and parents.

2021-2022 Counselor/Student Service Request

Mental Health Guide for Students and Families During COVID-19

Sign up for the Counseling Monthly Newsletter 

Community Resources

Mobile Crisis

Mobile Crisis services provide intensive, on-site response, stabilization and intervention for people of all ages who are experiencing a crisis due to mental health disturbances, developmental disabilities, or addiction: 1-888-573-1006

Blue Ridge Community Health 

BRCH Counseling Services

BRCH school-based therapists will continue to meet with students on their caseload during this school closure. If you would like to schedule a counseling appointment please call: 828-692-4289

Meals During School Closure

HCPS will provide meals during school closure.

The United Way

Dial 211 to get connected to local resources.

Counselor Contact Information

The Counseling Department is typically available between the hours of 8:00 am and 3:00 pm

LAST NAMES: A-Gonzalez – Natalie Anderson


LAST NAMES: Goodman-Ortega – Leigh Leik


LAST NAMES: Ortiz-Z – Leah Boecker


SOCIAL WORKER – Noel Griffin


John Fisher – Graduation Coach


Marcus Roberson – Blue Ridge Community College Liason


Areli Perez-Nava – ESL / Migrant High School Success Advocate


Senior Information


Please check out the NHHS scholarship page. The scholarship page web address has been sent to your student email. Most scholarships will allow recommenders to email letters. Counselors can provide you with a transcript via email. Please contact your counselor or Mrs. Strickland with transcript requests.


What is federal aid? It’s money from the federal government—specifically, the U.S. Department of Education—that helps you pay for college or career school. More than $150 billion in federal student aid is available through grants, work-study, and loans every year.

FAFSA Checklist


Completion of the RDS is required in order to receive in-state tuition as well as state grants at North Carolina colleges and universities, both public and private.

RDS Checklist

College Applications:

Apply to most of North Carolina’s colleges and universities at or visit the school’s website. You may also apply to colleges using The Common Application. Please schedule a digital advisement appointment with your counselor for specific questions. We are happy to help!

Send Your Transcript to colleges and universities using your account. Click Apply – Application Hub – Request a Transcript. Please send requests for out of state colleges to the NHHS registrar, Mrs. Strickland at

The National Association of College Admissions has created a tool for families to research what colleges are doing with respect to admissions, fall classes, freeze on tuition, testing, and other topics. This is a great site for centralized information.