Good evening Glenn Marlow parents and students, this is John Hart with your Marlow Monday Message on this Monday, October 25, 2021. Another awesome Fall weekend here in the mountains, and the leaves are really showing their colors. We are so blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the state, and the country, really. As well, it is hard to believe that the first academic quarter is behind us, and today, we began the second quarter of the school year. What a great opportunity you have as parents (and students) to reset and make some new goals for the new 9 weeks. Set them high, yet attainable, and celebrate the successes! Our students, teachers, and staff are working hard every day, and I am proud of all of them. Keep up the great work, Buckaroos!
This week’s Shout-Out goes to our awesome PTO and the incredible Pumpkin Lighting event that they put on last Thursday. From the raffle baskets, to the prize/cake walks, food, games, pumpkin displays, hay ride, decorating the hay ride trail, and the smore’s over the open fire pits (thank you Marlow dads!), those ladies did an outstanding job organizing, facilitating, and volunteering their time and efforts to make this Marlow tradition another great evening. It was so great to see our community come together to support our school and students. Such a great evening! Thank you Marlow PTO!
Here is this week’s Marlow Monday Message:
- Q1 Report Cards will be made available this week on Thursday, October 28th, through the PowerSchool Parent Portal. Please take this time to look over it with your child, celebrate their successes, and have conversations with them where they may need improvement. We are very proud of all of our Buckaroos, and want each of them to achieve success here at Glenn Marlow. Please remember that Q1 grades are not final until Thursday, October 28th. If you are having trouble viewing your child’s grade in the PowerSchool Parent Portal, please call Jo Pittman, our Data Manager, here at the school at 654-3225. If you would like to request a paper copy of your child’s report card, please contact his/her teacher.
- Tomorrow evening, (Tuesday, Oct. 26), HCPS Central Office will be sending out a district-wide message to all HCPS families regarding the possibility of “Remote Learning Days” being called for HCPS students for events like inclement weather or county widespread power outages. These “Remote Learning Days” include age/grade level appropriate school assigned Choice Boards that will be sent home with each Marlow student this Friday, October 29th. Please do not lose these Choice Boards– keep them in your child’s folder, and know that they are only to be used in the event that a “Remote Learning Day” is called for all HCPS students. Again, more information will be announced in tomorrow’s message.
- Each year, the Marlow Back Pack Bunch provides food on a weekly basis for Marlow children in need. As we turn into November and begin thinking about Thanksgiving, Glenn Marlow ES is once again hosting a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot Food Drive, to help our families during the holiday season. Suggested grade-level items to bring are below, but any donation will be gladly accepted and greatly appreciated. We invite your child to drop the items off in the “Big Turkey” box in the middle of each grade level hallway during this drive from November 1 until November 19. Students can also check out our Turkey-themed progress poster by the cafeteria showing the progress toward our collection goal. Our goal this year is 600 items! If you have other ideas for outreach at our school, or you would like to continue helping Back Pack Bunch, please contact school counselor, Rachel Malmgren at 654-3225. Thank you so much!
- Kindergarten: Stuffing or instant mashed potatoes
- 1st Grade: Cornbread or muffin mix
- 2nd Grade: Canned veggies
- 3rd Grade/Ms. Pace: Macaroni and cheese
- 4th Grade/Ms. Burnette: Gravy mix or canned cranberry sauce
- 5th Grade: Brownie or cookie mix
- As a reminder to our afternoon car rider parents, please be sure that you have your child’s purple car rider card displayed in the windshield when coming through the afternoon car rider line. If the purple 2021-2022 sign is not displayed, parents will be asked to park and walk inside to sign their child out…no exceptions. (Please make sure you have your ID if asked) Also, please be mindful of the traffic on Butler Bridge Road. I know it can get backed up to a halt, especially in the afternoons, and your awareness to all traffic on that road is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your help with this.
From last week’s Marlow Monday Message…
- Don’t forget! The 2021 – 2022 Marlow Yearbooks are now on sale! We encourage everyone to order their yearbooks online, however, you can send in your order form if you so choose. This year, yearbooks start at $20, with add-ons available for additional charges. If you have any questions about yearbooks and yearbook ordering, please contact our Yearbook Coordinator, Monica Outman, here at the school.
- Attention students (and parents)– please do not forget to bring your water bottle with you each day to school. We do have water bottle fillers on each hallway, and since the water fountains are shut down, each student needs to have their water bottle with them each day. For those that need it, we do have spare water bottles and bottled water in the front office, but encourage all students to have their own each day. As well, please be sure to bring a mask with you to school each day. Again, we have extras in the front office, if need be, but encourage students to have their own, and if possible, a few extra in their backpacks if one breaks. Thank you!
Stay safe and healthy everyone. Thank you, and have a great evening. JHart