Good evening Glenn Marlow parents and students, this is your Marlow Monday Message on this Labor Day Monday, September 6, 2021. What a great weather weekend it was here in Mills River and Henderson County! Whether attending the Apple Festival or just enjoying time with family and friends, I hope all of you had a safe and restful long weekend! We are ready to get Week #3 under way!
This week’s “Marlow Shout-Out” goes to our beloved PE teacher, Mr. Bryan Vaughn! Mr. Vaughn has been a PE teacher at Marlow for over 14 years and is an amazing PE teacher! He does so much for our students and our school, and this week, took on additional class responsibilities all week long so our students could get some extra PE time, and our teachers (his colleagues) could have their planning time. This was a true example of service before self, and we are all appreciative of his work last week. We are better when we are Marlow Together! Thank you, Mr. Vaughn!
Here is this week’s Monday Message:
- Attention morning car riders! We are getting better every day with morning car rider line and getting all our students in building before the 8:00 bell rings. To keep things running smooth, please be sure that students are ready to exit the car as you pull up. If your child does need assistance getting out of the car, myself, Ms. Hogan, or Ms. Pittman are there to help. We are always looking for parents and volunteers to help us in the morning opening car doors (thank you, Mr. Spray and Mr. Jackson!). The more help we have, the smoother our drop-off line will run. No experience necessary, just park and come up on the curb to help. A good time is always had by all!
- Student Chromebooks — As stated in a recorded message that was sent out last week, we are asking families to review the expectations for the usage and care of HCPS Chromebooks. There is no annual technology fee, but damages to these district-issued devices will result in fees ranging from $20 to $40, depending on the severity of the damage. If a Chromebook is repeatedly damaged, the student user will no longer be allowed to take a device home, but will still have access to a loaned device during school hours. Lost or totally destroyed Chromebooks will result in a $250 replacement charge. You can find more details about Chromebook damage fees in the HCPS Student Code of Conduct, which is on our school’s website under the “Students” drop-down menu.
- Don’t forget! The 2021 Marlow Spirit Wear link is now live, and ready for consumers! Special thanks to Big Frog Custom T-shirts and More for their partnership. Order your Marlow spirit wear today!
- To our morning and afternoon car riders…We would like to ask our Marlow families please be “good neighbors” to Aletheia Academy Childcare next door and leave their entrance “unblocked” during drop-off and pick-up. This will allow their families, staff, and any emergency vehicles, if ever needed, access in and out of their center. They will appreciate this kind and thoughtful courtesy very much. Thank you!
- We have two awesome events coming up in the month of September that we invite our families to be a part of:
- Glenn Marlow Elementary School is partnering up with Barnes and Noble Book Store in Biltmore Park as they host a Book Fair for Marlow Elementary next Saturday, September 18th. All day, students can visit the store or order online, and a portion of the total sales will go towards GMES! All day at the store in Biltmore Park, there will be arts and crafts and snacks for the kiddos, and maybe even a visit from “Blaze the Mustang” himself! Plan on attending Barnes and Noble on Saturday, September 18th!
- Chick-fil-A anyone? That’s right, GMES is having a Spirit Night at Chick-fil-A in Hendersonville (Highlands Square) on Tuesday, September 28th from 5 pm – 8 pm. Hope to see everyone out at Chick-fil-A that night!
Here is news from last week’s message:
- We have a new system for student check ins, check outs, and visitors. Gone are the days of pencil and paper sign ins and we are happy to announce that we are utilizing a computer system for this procedure. When you come in to the front office sign in or sign out, you will go to the new visitor computer on the right hand side of the front desk counter and complete the appropriate form. As always, you will be asked to provide your ID for check outs.
- As a reminder, our amazing Marlow PTO has also set up an Amazon Smile account for the Marlow PTO. As the online shopping season is always running in full swing, you can shop on Amazon Smile (I mean who doesn’t, right?!?…), register the Marlow PTO on Amazon Smile account, and a portion of your purchases will go directly to the PTO! Sign up with your Amazon account today, and thank you for supporting our school!
Stay safe and healthy everyone. Thank you, and have a good evening.