Good evening Glenn Marlow parents and students, this is John Hart, principal of Glenn Marlow Elementary School with your Marlow Monday Message on this Monday, August 30thrd. One week is in the books, and what an awesome week it was! Thank you to everyone for making it a successful week, and as we get into Week 2, our goal is to keep improving every day. We are better together, and it has shown this last week.
This week’s “Marlow Shout-Out” goes to our PTO Board members: co-presidents Dawn Steed and Shanda Zachman, Vice-president Katrina DeVane, Treasurer Kristen Moore, Secretary Lindsey Hill, and Chairpersons of our numerous committees: Katie Myers, Brandi Pilgrim, Tiffany Councill, Shanda Zachman, Shelley Sprague, Amber Jenkins, Stephanie Hamill, Leslee Fontaine, Michelle Drake and Katie Warren. This amazing group has worked hard over these last two weeks supporting our students and staff — from providing lunch during the Staff workweek, to purchasing additional outdoor picnic tables for our students to eat outside, hosting a successful Boo-Hoo/Yahoo breakfast for our Kindergarten parents, and planning some great events for the school year, we are so fortunate to have such a dedicated group of people ready to serve. We appreciate you and all that you do to support GMES!
Here is this week’s Monday Message:
- Don’t forget! The 2021 Marlow Spirit Wear link is now live, and ready for consumers! Special thanks to Big Frog Custom T-shirts and More for their partnership. Order your Marlow spirit wear today!
- We have a new system for student check ins, check outs, and visitors. Gone are the days of pencil and paper sign ins and we are happy to announce that we are utilizing a computer system for this procedure. When you come in to the front office sign in or sign out, you will go to the new visitor computer on the right hand side of the front desk counter and complete the appropriate form. As always, you will be asked to provide your ID for check outs.
- To our morning and afternoon car riders…We would like to ask our Marlow families please be “good neighbors” to Aletheia Academy Childcare and leave their entrance “unblocked” during drop-off and pick-up. This will allow their families, staff, and any emergency vehicles, if ever needed, access in and out of their center. They will appreciate this kind and thoughtful courtesy very much. Thank you!
- We have two awesome events coming up in the month of September that we invite our families to be a part of:
- 1) Glenn Marlow Elementary School is partnering up with Barnes and Noble Book Store in Biltmore Park as they host a Book Fair for Marlow Elementary on Saturday, September 18th. All day, students can visit the store or order online, and a portion of the total sales will go towards GMES! At the store in Biltmore Park, there will be arts and crafts and snacks for the kiddos, and maybe even a visit from “Blaze the Mustang” himself! Plan on attending that day– more information will be sent home next week. Stay tuned!
- 2) Chick-fil-A anyone?!?! That’s right, GMES is having a Spirit Night at Chick-fil-A in Hendersonville (Highlands Square) on Tuesday, September 28th from 5pm – 8pm. Hope to see everyone out at Chick-fil-A that night!
Here is news from last week’s message:
- In the past, HCPS parents/guardians used a district-specific “Information & Media Opt-Out Form” to opt out of sharing certain student directory information, which is their right under the federal Family Educational rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). (Reference U.S. Department of Education). Beginning this Fall 2021 semester, HCPS is eliminating its district-specific form since the N.C. Department of Public Instruction has standardized the student directory opt-out procedures across NC school districts through PowerSchool’s Parent Portal. As of the 2021-2022 school year, all “opt-outs” in HCPS will be informed by parent and guardian answers to the required Parent Portal screening questions. Answering “No” to the ParentPortal screening Question 1: “Do you grant permission to allow directory information for non-commercial purposes?” will exclude your child’s directory information (including name and photo) from use in all of the following:
- School yearbooks
- Media coverage of school activities / student awards
- School / district newsletters
- School / district social media
- Published honor roll lists
- Published graduation announcements and lists
- StudentAccess library service through HCPS
- Parents/guardians will be prompted to indicate their preferences in the Parent Portal at the beginning of each school year, and may update those preferences at any time. Parents or guardians without Parent Portal access should contact their school’s data manager to create a Parent Portal account, or request a paper copy of the NCDPI screening questions. If you have any questions about the Parent Portal and Media Opt Out, please call Mr. Hart or Ms. Karen Galloway at the school, 828-654-3225. Thank you!
- As a reminder, our AMAZING Marlow PTO has also set up an AmazonSmile account for the Marlow PTO. As the online shopping season is always running in full swing, you can shop on AmazonSmile (I mean who doesn’t, right?!?…), register the Marlow PTO on AmazonSmile account, and a portion of your purchases will go directly to the PTO! Sign up with your Amazon account today, and thank you for supporting our school!
- Parents, please do not forget to turn in your Free and Reduced lunch forms this week, if you see fit. Even though all school meals (breakfast and lunch) are free for all students this year, this form helps GMES secure federal funding to help pay for teachers, tutors, and instructional resources for our students. Paper copies of this year’s form is being sent home with every student. A reminder to look at the chart on the front of the form, and as stated earlier, if you see fit, please fill out the form and return with your child. Free and reduced lunch forms can also be completed online, so you may submit your form that way if you so choose. You can access the forms through the Lunch Application website, or the link may be reached through the HCPS website. Thank you in advance for your help. As always, if you have any questions, please do hesitate to contact the school at 828-654-3225.
Thank you, and have a good evening. JHart