Reading is very important– we all know that. But did you know that kids who don’t read over the summer can lose some of the gains they’ve made in reading over the school year? It’s called the “summer slide,” and here are some great ways to prevent it!
- Henderson County Public Library has a summer reading program every year! There are tons of great events and prizes available just from reading over the summer. For more information, check out their summer event calendar, as well as the Henderson County Public Library website!
- Students can also download e-books for free with their student number/lunch number.
- Barnes and Noble’s summer reading program will reward you with a free book if you read eight books over the summer and complete their reading journal. For more information, take a look at their summer reading website.
- Amazon.com is having a summer reading program as well! Take a look at their summer reading program website to get more information.
- Scholastic has a summer reading program in which kids can earn digital experiences AND help donate books simply by reading!
- Chuck E. Cheese’ s Reading Rewards calendar could get you 10 free tokens! Turn in a full reading calendar to earn your prize. More information can be found on their Reading Rewards calendar website.
- Epic Books is an e-book website that your child may have used with their teacher over the school year. It has thousands of e-books and helpful features for practicing reading! Teachers can provide log-in information from this school year (Ms. Waxman has log-in information in her Google Media Classrooms). Otherwise, parents can get a 3-month subscription for $9.99.
Stay reading, Buckaroos!