Good evening Glenn Marlow parents and students! And here we are, the first week of May, and officially into the last month of school. With 4 weeks to go, there is much work to be done, so we continue to encourage our students to work hard and finish strong! Stay positive, celebrate the successes, and have fun! We can do this!
Following Gov. Cooper’s press conference last week, the following guidance was sent out last Friday to all HCPS employees as it relates to mask wearing and being outside. Please see below:
As detailed in Executive Order 209, which goes into effect at 5:00pm Friday (4/30), the governor has determined it is reasonable and necessary to lift the outdoor face covering requirement. Under this order, face coverings are no longer required in any outdoor setting. Therefore, face coverings are no longer required and are now optional for students, staff, visitors, spectators, and student-athletes in any outdoor setting. This guidance shared with HCPS staff includes recess, physical education, enrichment activities, sporting events, and outdoor instruction.
Face coverings are still required in all indoor school settings, regardless of the individual’s ability to maintain social distance.
Please note this change that took effect last Friday. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.
Here is this week’s Marlow Monday Message:
- This week, May 3rd – 7th, is Teacher/ Staff Appreciation Week here at Glenn Marlow. All this week, we are asking our students and parents to show how much we appreciate all the Glenn Marlow teachers and staff. Please join me in saying ‘thank you’ for all that you do each and every day. They truly make a difference the lives of all our students, and are integral part at making Glenn Marlow the amazing school it is today!
- This Friday, May 7th is Marlow Yearbook Distribution Day. Our yearbook staff has put together another fantastic yearbook, and we can’t wait to get it out on Friday. Students who pre-ordered yearbooks will receive them during school. We do have a limited number of extras that will go on sale Friday morning, beginning at 8:15, in the front office. First come, first serve, extra yearbooks are $25 per book. Cash or check will be accepted, and payment must be received in full to get one. Checks can be made out to GMES.
- Looking for an awesome STEM Summer Camp for your child to attend? Look no further than STEM Camp at Marlow! If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Stephanie Patton, our STEM Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We have had a tremendous response to our call out for volunteers for next week’s Field Days. Please note that only those parents that have signed up to volunteer are allowed to come to Field Day.
- This summer, there will be a Summer Learning (SL) option here at Glenn Marlow. If your child (K-5) is eligible to attend this SL opportunity, they will soon receive an invitation from school. Please respond to the invitation as soon as possible so we can plan and prepare to provide an impactful summer school experience! A few notes about the Summer Learning:
- Summer Learning will be in-person, on-campus. There is no virtual option.
- Summer Learning will run from June 9th – July 22nd, Monday – Thursday, 8am – 4pm. There will be no school the week of July 5th- 9th.
- Breakfast and lunch will be served free of charge to students attending Summer Learning.
- Bus transportation will be available for Summer Learning students if needed.
- As more information becomes available and student invitations are sent out, we will provide more detailed information to those attending. Stay tuned!
- Parents – As we enter into a busy time of year with lots of school events going on, please make sure that your child’s “Green Sheet” and Check-out information is up to date. Remember that only the people listed on the green sheet (with valid ID) can check out a student from school. Thank you for your help in keeping our school and students safe.
- These last four weeks of school are lining up to be busy with spring activities, EOY Assessments, and end-of-year activities. Please see this calendar of events from now till the end of the year. It will be updated weekly as more details and events finalized:
- May 3rd – May 7th – Spring Scholastic Book Fair
- May 3rd – May 7th – Teacher / Staff Appreciation Week!
- Tuesday, May 4th – Book Fair open until 5 pm for our RLO students
- Friday, May 7th – Yearbook Distribution Day
- Tuesday, May 11th – Field Day for G3-G5
- Wednesday, May 12th – Field Day for KI-G2; Ms. King / Burnette’s Class
- Tuesday, May 18th – G3 – G5 Math EOG
- Wednesday, May 19th – G3 – G5 ELA EOG
- Friday, May 21st – G5 Science EOG
- Thursday, May 27th – Kindergarten “Drive-thru” Graduation — 4:30 – 6:30 pm
- Friday, May 28th – Last Day of School (noon dismissal for students). End of the 4th Quarter.
- And lastly, this week is also our in-person Spring Scholastic Book Fair. Current restrictions will only allow students to visit the book fair during their Specials time in the school day that week, so please be sure that you know what day your child has Media Center/Library for Specials so you can prepare them to shop! On Tuesday, May 4th, the Book Fair will be open until 5:00pm to allow our RLO students to come in and shop.
Have a wonderful week, and thank you for all that you do.