Good evening Glenn Marlow parents and students! I certainly hope everyone had a great weekend! It was a beautiful day here at Marlow Elementary today, and it is hard to believe that we are in the last week of April. Continue to encourage your child to stay engaged, complete assignments, and work hard to finish this unprecedented school year strong! As I have said before, I am just amazed at the hard work, determination, and passion our teachers, students, staff and parents have put into this year. Thank you for all that you have done, and will continue to do until the end! We will see it through together!
Here is this week’s Marlow Monday Message:
- We will be having an in-person Spring Scholastic Book Fair next week, May 3rd – May 7th! Current restrictions will only allow students to visit the book fair during their Specials time in the school day that week, so please be sure that you know what day your child has Media Center/Library for Specials so you can prepare them to shop!
- On Tuesday, May 4th, the Book Fair will be open until 5:00 pm to allow our RLO students to come in and shop.
- Here are some important facts to help inspire you to buy brain-building books at our Book Fair!
- Based on a study by the US Department of Education, children who were read to at least three times a week by a family member were almost twice as likely to score in the top 25% in reading compared to children who were read to less than 3 times a week.
- According to the National Reading Campaign reading for as little as 6 minutes can reduce stress by as much as 60%!
- “Children who read for just 20 minutes per day see 1.8 million words each year and have scores on standardized tests in the 90th percentile (because they have experienced so many words!). Compare this with the child who is reading for just 1 minute per day, they only see 8000 words each year and have scores in the 10th percentile on standardized tests.” (Nagy and Henry’s study for the Center for the Study of Reading)
- Next week, May 3rd – 7th, is Teacher/ Staff Appreciation Week here at Glenn Marlow. All next week, we are asking our students and parents to show how much we appreciate all the Glenn Marlow teachers and staff. Please join me in saying “thank you” for all that you do each and every day. They truly make a difference the lives of all our students, and are integral part at making Glenn Marlow the amazing school it is today!
- This summer, there will be a Summer Learning (SL) option here at Glenn Marlow. If your child (K-5) is eligible to attend this SL opportunity, they will soon receive an invitation from school. Please respond to the invitation as soon as possible so we can plan and prepare to provide an impactful summer school experience! A few notes about the Summer Learning:
- Summer Learning will be in-person, on-campus. There is no virtual option.
- Summer Learning will run from June 9th – July 22nd, Monday – Thursday, 8am – 4pm. There will be no summer school the week of July 5th- 9th.
- Breakfast and lunch will be served free of charge to students attending Summer Learning.
- Bus transportation will be available for Summer Learning students if needed.
- As more information becomes available and student invitations are sent out, we will provide more detailed information to those attending. Stay tuned!
- Parents – As we enter into a busy time of year with lots of school events going on, please make sure that your child’s “Green Sheet” and Check-out information is up to date. Remember that only the people listed on the green sheet (with valid ID) can check out a student from school. Thank you for your help in keeping our school and students safe.
- These last five weeks of school are lining up to be busy with spring activities, EOY Assessments, and end-of-year activities. Please see this calendar of events from now till the end of the year. It will be updated weekly as more details and events finalized:
- May 3rd – May 7th – Spring Scholastic Book Fair
- May 3rd – May 7th – Teacher / Staff Appreciation Week!
- Tuesday, May 4th – Book Fair open until 5 pm for our RLO students
- Friday, May 7th – Yearbook Distribution Day
- Tuesday, May 11th – Field Day for G3-G5
- Wednesday, May 12th – Field Day for KI-G2; Ms. King / Burnette’s Class
- May 17th – May 28th – G3, G4, G5 EOG Testing Window (Specific dates TBA when available)
- Friday, May 28th – Last Day of School (noon dismissal for students). End of the 4th Quarter
Have a wonderful week, and thank you for all that you do.