Good evening Glenn Marlow families! I hope everyone had a great weekend and a great Monday today. We certainly have been blessed with great weather these last few days, and it has been great to see our students outside and enjoying the beautiful weather when they can. Here we are in the first full week of October… Man, where has the time gone? Let’s continue working hard Buckaroos and have a great week!
Here is this week’s Marlow Monday Message:
- Usually during this time of year, HCPS in coordination with the Dept of Health and Human Services, offers flu shots to all HCPS students and staff at each respective school. Due to COVID-19 restrictions this year, flu shots will NOT be held at individual schools, but instead, offering a flu clinic at the Dept of Public Health. The next flu clinic is scheduled for this Saturday, Oct. 10th, from 9 am – 1 pm. No appointment necessary. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
- And to follow the flu shot message, now that we are back in school, I wanted to re-share this document from the NCDHHS regarding COVID-19 screenings and protocols in schools. Please review over this document, and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to call me directly, or to our school nurse, Krista Nelson. Ultimately, if your child is sick or feeling sick, please do not send him/her to school, and please notify your child’s teacher. In the long run, “playing it safe” and keeping students home during this unprecedented time will hopefully keep everyone healthy and moving forward.
- Save the date! For Wednesday, October 14th, as Papa John’s in Mills River is hosting a GMES Spirit Night! Order your pizza from Papa John’s at any time during the day on Wednesday the 14th, and a portion of all proceeds will go back to our PTO! Just use the promo code GLEN. Deliver or carryout, enjoy a Papa John’s Pizza on Wednesday, October 14th.
- As a reminder to our afternoon car rider parents, please be sure that you have your child’s neon green car rider card displayed in the windshield when coming through the afternoon car rider line. If the 2020-2021 sign is not displayed, parents will need to park and walk inside to sign their child out… no exceptions. Also, please be mindful of the traffic on Butler Bridge Road. I know it can get backed up to a halt, especially in the afternoons, and your awareness to all traffic on that road is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your help with this.
- Because of a federal waiver passed two months ago, school breakfast and lunches are free for all students. Students may bring their own lunch, should they choose. A lunch menu is available on the HCPS website, under the Child Nutrition tab for Parents. Take Home Meals will also be available for students on Friday. G3-G5 “Group A” students will have Take Home Meals available on Mondays and Thursdays, and G3-G5 “Group B” students will be on Tuesdays and Fridays. KI-G2 students will have their Take Home Meals every Friday. If you would like a Take Home Meal for your child, please complete this quick survey, and Robin Bryans, our Cafeteria Manager will take care of you. If you have already completed this form, there is no need to complete another one.
From last week….
- As our students are wearing their masks throughout the day, there are times (lunch, recess, and numerous mask-breaks) when they take them off. In order to keep them from getting lost, parents please be sure that your child’s name is somewhere labeled on them. Thank you for helping us out on this!
- Because we are now on Plan B and serving lunch to students in the cafeteria, the “Grab and Go” lunch service has been moved to Rugby Middle School. Still available from 11:30 – 1:30, families can go to Rugby Middle to pick up lunch and breakfast for the next day during their virtual school day.
- We have begun our collection of BoxTops for the 2020-2021 school year. BoxTops are labels that can be found on hundreds of items that you find at the grocery store, and when collected, can be exchanged for money for our school. Students can bring them in to their teacher to be collected each month, or you can submit them electronically. All you need to do is download the BoxTops App on your phone, register with Glenn Marlow Elementary School, and scan your receipts every time you go to the store. After you upload them into the app, you will receive a confirmation email. Forward those confirmation emails to firstname.lastname@example.org to get credit for your child’s homeroom. At the end of each month, we will announce the BoxTops class winner, and they will be presented with a trophy for the month. Our goal this year is $3500, so start collecting today! Thank you for supporting our school!
Thank you for all you do to make Marlow a great place to learn and grow!
Have a great night!