Good evening Glenn Marlow parents and students, this is John Hart with your Marlow Monday message on this Labor Day Monday, September 7, 2020. What a great weather weekend it was here in Mills River, and I hope all of you enjoyed the long weekend. But here we are, Week #4 of remote instruction, and again, I continue to be amazed by the work, engagement, and participation from all of our Buckaroos! Keep up the great work! Let’s make this week a great one!
Here are this week’s news and notes:
- Tomorrow, at the September 8th meeting of the Board of Education, the Board will discuss and consider a recommendation for students to return to a hybrid face-to-face and virtual learning model. The meeting begins at 4 pm, and it will be live streamed on YouTube. To access the live stream, please go to the HCPS website.
- Typically, during this time of year, our Buckaroos (G1 – G5) participate in a presentation from Boy Scouts of America. Because there are no students in the building at this time, a Boy Scouts of America has provided an e-flyer that has information you can access if your child would like to sign up for Scouts. Boy Scouts of America 2020-2021 Flyer
- During this new remote learning period, we recognize that students are in all different learning environments, facing all different types of challenges. And as you have heard from the beginning, this remote learning is much different than it was at the end of last year: assignments and homework are now due, assessments are being assigned, and grades are now being given. And because this is such a big change from last spring, it is important that students understand how much their participation, interaction with their teacher, and completion of assignments will be key in their success during this time. Students– you hold the key to your success. Be the best Buckaroo you can be, and make it happen! We all want to see and help you achieve success, and celebrate the victory with you in the end!
- The 2020 Marlow Spirit Wear web page is now live, and ready for consumers! Special thanks to Big Frog Custom T-shirts and More for their partnership. Order your Marlow spirit wear today!
- As a resource to all of you, HCPS has provided a link on their website specifically for Remote Learning Technology Support for Students and Families. If the phone line for Tech support is unavailable, please feel free to call the school.
From last week:
- Continuing at Glenn Marlow this year, and extended to all our Buckaroo families, is an initiative called the Marlow Backpack Bunch. Through the generosity of local churches, organizations, and parents, this anonymous program is designed to assist families who could use some extra help with food for their children on weekends. Food bags can be picked up from the front office at school on Fridays beginning September 11, from 12-3:30 and include food and snacks for families to supplement their meals over the weekend. If you would like your child to receive food from the Backpack Bunch please fill out this Backpack Bunch Google Form as soon as possible. Once submitted, this form is sent to the school counselor, Rachel Malmgren, and is kept completely confidential. Thank you! (Please note, if your family enrolled in this program for the 2019-20 school year, you will automatically be re-enrolled unless otherwise noted.)
- In partnership with the Henderson County Education Foundation, HCPS is sharing a map of business and organization locations within the community offering free Internet access for HCPS students. This Google Map online version will be updated as new locations are added; click on the location points for hours of service and/or WiFi password, if applicable. A PDF version of the “Internet Map for HCPS Families” will be published by early next week. Families will be able to request print copies of the most recent PDF version from school, if you’d like.
- The Marlow Media Center is open for business! Students can send an email to Ms. Waxman (email@example.com) to set an appointment (M-F, 12:30 – 3:00) to come into the Media Center and check out books. Students can also fill out a Library Book Request Form that is located in your child’s Media Center Google Classroom. If you are unable to get to school to pick up your books that you have checked out, please contact Ms. Waxman to make further arrangements.
- Parents please do not forget to turn in your Free and Reduced lunch forms this week, if you see fit. Not only do these forms provide eligible families free and reduced lunches, but they also help secure federal funding for our school to help pay for teachers, tutors, and instructional resources for our students. A reminder to look at the chart on the front of the form, and as stated earlier, if you see fit, please fill out the form and return with your child. Free and reduced lunch forms can also be completed online at the Free Lunch Application website, so you may submit your form that way if you so choose. The link may be reached through the HCPS website, click on the Apple “Menu” icon, choose “Home” click on “Meal Applications” icon and then click on the Lunch Application icon. Thank you in advance for your help.
Keep up the great work. Thank you for all you do to make Glenn Marlow a special to learn and grow. Have a great week. JHart