Good evening Glenn Marlow parents and students, this is John Hart with your Marlow Monday message for Monday, August 24th, 2020. Under these unique circumstances, it was a great first week of school at GMES! Again, I am so proud of all of our Buckaroos getting into their Google Classroom at 8 am, and staying engaged throughout the day. I cannot thank you all enough for your hard work and support through this. It cannot be overstated!
And so here we go, Week #2. Even though last week was a great one, let’s make this week better than the last! Here are this week’s news and notes:
- Beginning this week and continuing into September, all students will begin completing their iReady Reading and Math Beginning of Year Diagnostics. Our 5th grade students will only complete the math diagnostic. Students in 1st – 4th grades will complete both the Reading and Math diagnostics, while our Kindergarten students will just complete the Reading diagnostic sometime in September. Parents and caregivers: it is important that you allow students to work on these diagnostics independently and without assistance. The data from these diagnostics helps our teachers guide instruction for their students, so it is imperative that the results are accurate and completed independently.
- A reminder: parents, please do not forget to turn in your Free and Reduced lunch forms this week, if you see fit. Not only do these forms provide eligible families free and reduced lunches, but they also help secure federal funding for our school to help pay for teachers, tutors, and instructional resources for our students. A reminder to look at the chart on the front of the form, and as stated earlier, if you see fit, please fill out the form and return with your child. Free and reduced lunch forms can also be completed online, so you may submit your form that way if you so choose. Just visit the Free Lunch Application website. The link may be reached through the HCPS website, click on the Apple “Menu” icon, choose “Home” click on “Meal Applications” icon and then click on the Lunch Application icon. Thank you in advance for your help.
- Continuing at Glenn Marlow this year, and extended to all our Buckaroo families, is an initiative called the Marlow Backpack Bunch. Through the generosity of local churches, organizations, and parents, this anonymous program is designed to assist families who could use some extra help with food for their children on weekends. Food bags can be picked up from the front office at school on Fridays beginning September 11, from 12-3:30 and include food and snacks for families to supplement their meals over the weekend. If you would like your child to receive food from the Backpack Bunch please fill out this Backpack Bunch Google Form as soon as possible. Once submitted, this form is sent to the school counselor, Rachel Malmgren, and is kept completely confidential. Thank you! (Please note, if your family enrolled in this program for the 2019-20 school year, you will automatically be re-enrolled unless otherwise noted.)
- The Marlow Media Center is open for business! Students can send an email to Ms. Waxman (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set an appointment (M-F from 12:30 – 3:00) to come into the Media Center and check out books. Students can also fill out a Library Book Request Form that is located in your child’s Media Center Google Classroom. If you are unable to get to school to pick up your books that you have checked out, please contact Ms. Waxman to make further arrangements.
From last week…
- In partnership with the Henderson County Education Foundation, HCPS is sharing a map of business and organization locations within the community offering free Internet access for HCPS students. This Google Map online version will be updated as new locations are added; click on the location points for hours of service and/or WiFi password, if applicable. A PDF version of the “Internet Map for HCPS Families” will be published by early next week. Families will be able to request print copies of the most recent PDF version from school, if you’d like.
Keep up the great work. Thank you for all you do to make Glenn Marlow a special to learn and grow. Have a great week. JHart