Print Page

Lateral Entry

An individual who has not completed an approved teacher education program may be licensed under the following lateral entry requirements. Please see the Educator’s Licensure page from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction for additional details.

Qualifying for Lateral Entry in North Carolina

Must have a Bachelors Degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university and a combination of one (1) from each side of the below grid to qualify for Lateral Entry.

One of the Following:  A bachelors degree or higher that is relevant to subject area being taught

One of the following: 2.5 GPA or above





 24 Semester Hours of  course work in the teaching area




At least five (5) years of relevant experience



Passing score on the NC State Board of Education approved licensure exams for the teaching area which include….

Praxis II – for the majority of license areas effective 07/01/2014

Pearson testing – for Elementary Education effective 10/01/2014

Praxis II and Pearson for Special Ed: General Curriculum effective 10/01/2014

the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) – for World Languages except English


Passing scores on Core Academic Skills for Educators, or a total SAT score of 1100, or a total ACT score so 24 plus one of the following:

GPA of 3.0 in the major field of study or

GPA of 3.0 in all courses in senior year or

GPA of 3.0 on a minimum of 15 semester hours of courses completed within the last five years after the bachelor’s degree or higher















To Qualify:

The candidate must be selected for employment by a North Carolina school system.


Employment must be offered by the school system and accepted by the individual. The school system recommends the individual to the NC Department of Public Instruction for a lateral entry professional educator’s license. The individual is issued a three year lateral entry provisional professional educator’s license.

Plan of Study:

Requirements must be met within the three year period by affiliating with a college or university or with the (RALC) Regional Alternative Licensing Center in North Carolina. A plan of study is prescribed for the lateral entry teacher.

Coursework and Testing:

A plan of study is followed by the individual from either the college/university or the RALC. A minimum of six semester hours from the plan of study per year must be taken until completed. All coursework and the Praxis II exam for the license area must be completed within the three years.  Henderson County prefers a passing score on the Praxis II prior to employment.