Career Center Overview
Career and College Advisement Centers (CCAC) are located at:
- Balfour Education Center,
- East Henderson High School,
- Hendersonville High School,
- Hendersonville Middle School,
- North Henderson High School, and
- West Henderson High School.
Each CCAC is stocked with computers and written resources. Teachers and Students are encouraged to use the centers to access sites to help with college and career planning such as Futures 4 Kids Career Cruising (http://www.careercruising.com) and College Foundation of North Carolina website (http://www.cfnc.org).
CCAC provide students opportunities to:
- Re-emphasize the important link between school achievement and quality of life after high school graduation.
- Consider how class selection and study habits made in school will affect college and career opportunities.
- Explore career information such as educational requirements, experience needed, salary, and work conditions.
- Learn information and practice skills to gain employment.
- Explore college and university information such as entrance requirements, fields of study, costs, and scholarship and grant opportunities.
Henderson County Public Schools collaborates with Blue Ridge Community College (BRCC) to promote career and college exploration for high school students. While in school, qualified students can take community college courses tuition-free. Students can request more information from their school counselor about how to apply for BRCC classes.
Also, each year BRCC hosts two events for HCPS high school students:
1) Junior Career Day provides students a chance to visit the BRCC campus to hear presentations by individuals who work in various career fields.
- OCTOBER 10, 2011
2) ESL College Access Day provides students whose native language is not English an opportunity to tour the campus, hear about BRCC program offerings, and learn ways to apply and pay for college courses.
- SEPTEMBER 23, 2011