Rising 6th Grade Information
“Meet the Teacher”: THURSDAY, AUGUST 22nd
Rising 6th graders and their parents are invited to drop-in and meet their teacher anytime between 2:00-4:00pm. When arriving at Rugby, check the list that will be posted to see what teacher you have been assigned.
Activities available during “Meet the Teacher”:
- Drop-in and meet your teacher (Note: This is a very brief drop-in meeting. An Open House will be scheduled after the school year has started.)
- Obtain bus information
- Purchase a required Rugby PE Uniform ($10 shirt/ $10 short)
- Purchase Rugby Spirit wear (ex. shirts, hoodies, magnets)
- Put money on your child’s lunch account
- Meet our school nurse and obtain information on medication
6th Grade Orientation: FRIDAY, AUGUST 23rd 8:00-2:00pm
All rising 6th graders are invited to a special day of orientation where they will be assigned to an 8th grade “Navigator” (mentor) who will lead them in activities designed to help them become more familiar with becoming a successful middle schooler!
6th Grade Orientation Schedule:
8:00-8:30 Student check-in, located in the gym. Parents drop child off.
9:00-2:00 Session topics/Activities: tour, practice opening locks, lunch procedures, reading schedules, expectations, friendships and class expectations, media procedures, and introduction to PE
A pizza lunch will be provided for all students on this day.
2:00 Students are dismissed. Parents pick up their child in the car rider line.
All rising 6th graders will be given their team placement at “Meet the Teacher” on August 22nd. Individual student schedules will not be given out until the first day of school.
We believe encouraging students to read year around is essential to building lifelong learners. As a result, we want to challenge students to read at least two books from the Battle of the Books list. Not only will your child discover the joy of being lost in a book, but he/she will also benefit academically. We would like students to have their books completed prior to the first day of school. We will use the experience from the books to create connections with our new classmates.
6th Grade Ship Captains: Cheryl Hunter (Brigantine), Angie Peters (Galliot), Shannon Wall (Galliot), and Jann Haynes (Drakar)
6th Grade Summer Reading List:
- Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty
- Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus by Dusti Bowling
- The War that Saved My Life Kimberly by Brubaker Bradley
- The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan
- House Arrest by K. A. Holt
- Cracker! The Best Dog in Vietnam by Cynthia Kadohata
- Greenglass House by Kate Milford
- A Night Divided by Jennifer A. Nielsen
- The First Rule of Punk by Celia C. Perez
- Crow by Barbara Wright
We look forward to having you as part of our Rugby family!
We are very excited to help your child be successful and have a smooth transition into middle school. As we move through the sixth grade year together, please know that we are available as a resource for information, for discussing your concerns, or for just listening and empathizing since adolescence can be a confusing time for parents as well.
We look forward to meeting you, and particularly, getting to know your child.
Leanne Perry and Mike Pruett
Rugby School Counselors
Have a question over the summer?
Michael Gates is our 6th grade Assistant Principal, and you are welcome to contact him about any concerns you might have leading up to Orientation.