Good evening Glenn Marlow parents and students– I hope that everyone has a safe and restful weekend. We had another great week last week at GMES! Here is this week’s news and upcoming events:
- This past Wednesday, the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction released the 2018 -2019 School Performance Grades, and I am very proud to announce that Glenn Marlow Elementary School earned a school performance grade of an ‘A’!!! An ‘A’ is highest grade that any school could have received, and Glenn Marlow was 1 of only 25 K-5 North Carolina elementary schools to achieve this grade!! This is very product of the hard work put in by all of our students, teachers, staff, parents, and our community to ensure that every child will achieve success at Glenn Marlow. Congratulations to all of you. It is an honor well deserved and well received. WAY TO GO!!!
- Parents, September is Attendance Awareness Month. School attendance is essential to academic success, but too often students, parents, and schools do not realize how quickly absences -excused as well as unexcused- can add up to academic trouble. Chronic absence, missing 10% of the school year, or just 2-3 days every month, can translate into elementary students being unable to master reading, writing and math, middle school students failing courses, and high schoolers dropping out of school. Please help us bring success to your child by ensuring their good attendance at school. Attend today, achieve tomorrow!
- Just a reminder that this Wednesday, Sept. 11th, our 3rd Graders will be taking the Beginning of Grade ELA Assessment, and we are still in need of test proctors. 9 to be exact. If you are available to proctor that morning from 8am till about 12 pm, please call the school to let us know. Any and all help is great appreciated.
- Students in grades 3-5 who are interested in joining the Marlow Kiwanis-Kids Club are invited to attend our first meeting. It will be from 3-3:45 on Thursday, September 12th. Students need to turn in their K-Kids form to attend, and will need to be picked up promptly at 3:45 in the car line.
- Parents please do not forget to turn in your Free and Reduced lunch forms this week, if you see fit. Free and reduced lunch forms were sent home last week with all students. These completed forms help us receive federal funding to help pay for teachers, tutors, and instructional resources for our students. A reminder to look at the chart on the front of the form, and as stated earlier, if you see fit, please fill out the form and return with your child. Free and reduced lunch forms can also be completed online on the Lunch Application website, so you may submit your form that way if you so choose. The link may be reached through the HCPS website; click on the Apple “Menu” icon, choose “Home” click on “Meal Applications” icon and then click on the Lunch Application icon. Thank you in advance for your help.
- I want to take a minute to commend all of our car riders in the morning. We have had some great mornings get everyone in the building before the 8:00 tardy bell rings, so keep it up. Please remember that if you see the blue tardy sign out, parents MUST accompany their child inside and sign them in. To make the car rider line go quickly and smoothly in the morning, we are always in need of some additional car door openers, beginning at 7:30 am. No experience necessary. It is a lot of fun greeting our students as they come into school, and you are finished quickly at 8 am. Any and all help is appreciated, even if it is just for a few days. Thank you in advance.
A few upcoming dates to remember:
- Thursday, September 12th: Vision screenings for all students, sponsored by the Etowah Lions Club. Students, please be sure to wear your glasses that day, if applicable, to ensure an accurate screening. Please contact Nurse Kim at school if you have any questions.
- September 18 – October 2: Goodwill ‘Donate to Educate’ Trailer @ Marlow. Come fill the Goodwill trailer with clothes, household items, furniture, and whatever else you have you want to donate to Goodwill! GMES will get a monetary percentage of the total weight of the trailer, so the more we fill it up, the better!!
- Tuesday, September 24th is Fall Picture Day. More information to follow
Thank you for all you do, and have a great week.