Good evening Glenn Marlow parents and students, this is John Hart with your Marlow Monday message on this Monday, October 30th, 2017. This week, in our “Marlow Moments of the Week”, we want to highlight:
– A big ‘Shout-out’ goes to all of our Marlow parents who put on a fantastic Pumpkin Lighting event this past week. It was great work by everyone, and it was a great night! Thank you to everyone who came out, and a big thank you to all for making that a wonderful school and community event!!
– On Wednesday, our second graders were treated to a show about the book character Junie B Jones at the US Cellular Center in Asheville. It was a great show, and our students represented Marlow very well!
– In the classroom last week, our 5th graders experienced being locked in a Revolutionary War Escape Room! Students worked hard to solve a variety of puzzles such as cryptograms, morse code, pigpen cypher and Polybius cypher to figure out the causes of the Revolutionary War to escape. We were pleased to see everyone escape, and enjoy a piece of chocolate treasure! Great job 5th grade!
Now, here is this week’s news and announcements:
– On Wednesday, Nov. 1st, all students will take part in a vision screening here at Marlow, sponsored by the Lions Club. We ask that all students who wear glasses to please wear them that day (if prescribed). Parents, if you do not want your child to be screened, please contact our school nurse, Kim Ball, here at school.
– Just a reminder that Fall Make-up Picture Day is scheduled for this Thursday, November 2nd. This is for those students who were absent on the first Picture Day, any new students, or students who would just like another picture taken. Please see your teacher for order forms.
– Report Cards will be sent home and/or made available this Friday, November 3rd. Please take this time to look over it with you child, celebrate their successes, and have conversations with them where they need improvement. We are very proud of all of our Buckaroos, and want each of them to achieve success here at Glenn Marlow. Again, if you are having trouble viewing you child’s grade in PowerSchool in the Parent Portal, please call Karen Galloway, our Data Manager, here at the school at 654-3225. The 1st Quarter A-A/B Honor Roll Recognition Ceremony will take place on Thursday, November 9th @ 8:30am in the Gym.
-The Marlow BakPak Bunch provides food on a weekly basis for Marlow children in need. To help stock our pantry and provide Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, Marlow is starting a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot Food Drive! Please consider donating specific grade level items that you will have listed on a flyer coming home this week. We invite your child to drop the items off in the “BIG Turkey” box in the middle of each grade level hallway during this drive from October 30 until November 16. Also, check out our Turkey Themed progress poster by the cafeteria showing the progress toward our collection goal! If you have other ideas for outreach at our school, or you would like to continue helping BakPak Bunch, please contact school counselor, Lindsay Davis at 654-3225
– And lastly, At Glenn Marlow, one of our goals is to create community minded learners, and on Wednesday, November 8th, we have the opportunity to do just that in what we are calling our ‘Day of Change’. We are encouraging every student to bring in their ‘spare change that day to help send a Korean War Veteran on the Honor Air flight out of Ashville to Washington DC through our local Honor Air program. No donation is too small. Following a presentation by Honor Air and a local Korean War Veteran, our 4th Grade students and Marlow Kiwanis Kids will present the money our students raised that day helping our community send a local veteran to Washington D.C. Next week, your child will be receiving a flyer with a plastic baggie for this event. Thank you for your help. If you have any questions, please contact 4th grade teacher Mr. Geoff Kinsey here at the school.
Thank you for all you do. Students – have a safe and Happy Halloween. Have a great week. #WeAreMarlow