Child Nutrition Departmentshapeimage_3

The Child Nutrition Program is a nonprofit, self supporting program that receives its funding from the federal government and the price students pay to purchase a meal. Meal prices are based on the actual cost of preparing and serving the meals and maintaining equipment. An on-site Manager is present at each school. They receive support from the central office staff, including a Director, Supervisors, a Bookkeeper, and an Applications and Procurement Specialist.

The goal of the Child Nutrition Program is to promote good nutrition while offering food that is appealing and wholesome. Henderson County Public Schools lunch menus provide a minimum of 30% of the calories and nutrients children need to promote growth and healthy weight while keeping the total fat content at less than 35% average over a week.

Families who cannot afford to purchase their child’s meals may apply for the Federal Child Nutrition Free/Reduced School breakfast and lunch program, which allows financially eligible students to receive free or reduced price meals any day they attend school. This year we have available an online meal benefit application form. See the Meal Benefit Application tab for more information and links.

View the Free and Reduced Meal Policy for 2017-18

For Summer Food Service Program Volunteer information, please visit ‘Quick Links’

Statement of non-discrimination

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.  To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)      mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)      fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)      email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.